The National Park Service (NPS) has released a list of 5 days on which all national parks are free to visit. These free admission days are meant to encourage people to discover the parks.
The admission-free days for 2022 are:
- Monday, January 17 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Saturday, April 16 – First Day of National Park Week
- Thursday, August 4 – Anniversary of the Great American Outdoors Act
- Saturday, September 24 – National Public Lands Day
- Friday, November 11 – Veterans Day
The free admission is only to enter the park. There can still be additional fees for activities and overnight stays.
Most national parks do not have an admission fee at all. Of the 400 national parks, only 110 have an admission fee. Prices vary from $5-$35. All admission fees go to the National Park Service. The funds are used to maintain the park and create visitor facilities.